In 1888 John Perry and several other investors created the Red Stone Town, Land, and Mining Company, which would attempt to turn Pleasant Park into a resort destination. A dam was constructed on Bear Creek, creating Lake Wauconda, and a large hotel (Hotel Nanichant) was built Southwest of the lake where the 18th tee is currently located. One of the investors, Charles Roberts, built one of the only homes in the new development along the shores of Lake Wauconda (even though the entire area surrounding the lake was platted for upscale home development).
The original Roberts home, the Manor House, is now the clubhouse for Perry Park Country Club. The Nanichant Hotel became a stylish site for conventions and exclusive parties of the Denver elite, with guests arriving by stage from the Larkspur and Greenland rail depots. In 1890, the Redstone Company engaged Fredrick Law Olmstead, the designer of New York City's Central Park and the Boston Commons, to plan a resort village, including a casino, church, and museum. However, most of the plans never got off the drawing board, though a few "cottages" were constructed for wealthy Denver businessmen, including the Manor House. The original 1890 design plan from Olmstead Architects is shown below.
Perry Park Country Club was established in 1969. The golf course, designed by Dick Phelps, was initially built as a 9-hole course which later expanded to 18 holes.
The golf course is now Perry Park’s centerpiece, drawing visitors to the area's unparalleled beauty over the past century. The golf course was purchased by its members in 2002 to assure control of its future and ensure that decisions are made for the benefit of the membership
Dick Phelps Course History Presentation
Reminiscences of Barbara Brady and Betsy Roush
A History of Perry Park & the Paulk Family
Perry Park History w/ John Merrihew (Director of Golf, 1981-2011)